How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: engine mount 1/3 corvair XL  (Read 7925 times)

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Mozilla compatible Mozilla compatible
engine mount 1/3 corvair XL
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
Does anyone know the distance from the  firewall to the back of the engine back cover?

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: engine mount 1/3 corvair XL
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »
Does anyone know the distance from the  firewall to the back of the engine back cover?

A photo follows of the Pastor UV motor mount on a LE which is inclined to be tail heavy compared to Leonard's suggested LE CG...

The intake pipe is 1 1/8" ID-
You can see the back of the mag (a Slick 2220) in relation to the firewall-
The square tube is 1x1"-
Mount brackets on engine are made to UV spec's-
There is a very modest amount of parallax in the photo-

Inquire how the CG worked out on Sam Buchanan's cut engine mount & adjust to XL flyer's CG experience - your UV engine weight will track the single carb 1/2 45 very closely if you go with the top mounted single carb & short plumbing sink drain exhaust stacks...

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 05:34:50 AM »
Steve, by comparing the 1" sq. tube, and I know the Vair case should be 7.875" in length, it sure looks like the distance from the firewall to the back cover is in the 8" ball park. what do you think?

I will try to duplicate Mikes mount as best I can. The engine case, crank & camshafts, are all boxed up waiting for UPS to transport them to Ultr Vair. I ordered their plan B package and they are going to machine and mount everything. I'll send my crank, rods, pistons to Scott for balancing after I get the engine back from UV. Real nice people to deal with. Did you know they make a four pound redrive? That would sure make the XL or LE hop up in the air.  Hopefully by the first of summer I'll have a running engine, but I still have to do my heads, and all the other stuff, but progress is being made..

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 05:57:34 AM »
Steve, I would like to try his exact carb manifold setup. Do you have a supplier for the manifold? Other specs?

Thanks
Gil

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
Steve, I would like to try his exact carb manifold setup. Do you have a supplier for the manifold? Other specs?

Thanks
Gil
Gil:
We used 6061 alum tube from Burnsstainless.com 1 1/4" OD 18 gauge... The important fabrication feature is the squarely intersected inlet pipe to the cross tubes...  The carb is a Mikuni VM-30...

I'm adding photos of Karl's Airbike powered by a UV... It is important note that Karl added carb heat... The heat box allows you to use 3/8" ID oil lines - I have published elsewhere on the Forum how to do an alum tube wrap...

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
UPS picked up my engine this morning, on it's way to San Jose.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal