How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Aileron rib gussets.  (Read 7056 times)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Aileron rib gussets.
« on: May 13, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
I may have screwed up. I have all my wing ribs made except for 4. I read somewhere that the gussets are different for the aileron ribs than the others. I don't see that in Leonards information or videos but may have overlooked it. Do I continue and finish the ribs or do I need to make some different gussets. Can someone point me in a direction. I have Irondesigns  drawings and that is where the confusion comes from.
Thanks
Jim
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Aileron rib gussets.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »
I may have screwed up. I have all my wing ribs made except for 4. I read somewhere that the gussets are different for the aileron ribs than the others. I don't see that in Leonards information or videos but may have overlooked it. Do I continue and finish the ribs or do I need to make some different gussets. Can someone point me in a direction. I have Irondesigns  drawings and that is where the confusion comes from.
Thanks
Jim

From the LE #33 plan set I built all the ribs the same... Guess you should be discussing with Irondesign - are there instructions re: there?

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0.2 Safari 6.0.2
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
I may have screwed up. I have all my wing ribs made except for 4. I read somewhere that the gussets are different for the aileron ribs than the others. I don't see that in Leonards information or videos but may have overlooked it. Do I continue and finish the ribs or do I need to make some different gussets. Can someone point me in a direction. I have Irondesigns  drawings and that is where the confusion comes from.
Thanks
Jim
Quote from: Steve on Tue May 13 2014 11:17:33 GMT-0500 (CDT)
From the LE #33 plan set I built all the ribs the same... Guess you should be discussing with Irondesign - are there instructions re: there?
Hi builders. I certainly did show that I built the aileron rib- Ribs,  with a replaced vert stick with a K gusset/block arrangement that was different than in the plans. Known as a K Block, with the inside (concave of the K, where the Aileron goes, to be pre made with your router)  This takes almost NO extra time to make and greatly reduces the time to later on cut out your ailerons, add in your cove and move on. This was shown this way to HELP YOU BUILD FASTER and SAVE  YOU TIME on trying to figure out a quick way to  building the ribs in this area.  By adding in the K block we do take out the strait 1/4 x 1/4" rib portions as  you don't need both.  Gussets go over top just like you do with other ribs.   This not the only way of course, but a way that works nicely.  You can see this in the videos that I posted long ago on this very area.  Best of success.  Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
I just wasn't paying attention well enough. I got ahead of myself. At this point I may as well just continue on.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
Small milestone today. I glued up the last of the wing ribs. I stapled and then removed a little over 4000 of them little suckers. I think I'll build a landing gear next. I need a break from gluing wood.

Offline Rich Snyder

• Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mac OS X 10.9.3
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.3 Safari 7.0.3
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »
Small milestone today. I glued up the last of the wing ribs. I stapled and then removed a little over 4000 of them little suckers. I think I'll build a landing gear next. I need a break from gluing wood.

What are you talking about? Everyone that I have talked with LOVED pulling staples.::). For anyone starting this most enjoyable process; this is what I ended up using for a staple pulling tool. An old butcher knife. (Think Norman Bates shower scene). Keep the sharp edge away from you and grind the tip a bit to make it thin enough to get under the staples with a little wiggle. Once under the staple the nice comfortable handle is very easy to twist back and forth. Doesn't dig into the rib gussets. Rich

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
I used a pocket knife to pull the staples. It was already pretty much used up and the blade was only about 1-1/2 inches long. I ground the top edge down to make a double knife edge top and bottom. I then rounded the point a little in case I stabbed myself . I dulled the edges so they would not cut and went to town. It worked really well.

Offline plane_ben

• Abecedarian
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 94.0.4606.61 Chrome 94.0.4606.61
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 06:21:37 PM »
I used an old Craftsman screwdriver. Just rounded and sharpened the tip so I could wedge under the staple.

Offline DA Miller

• Donor 2024
  • New Member building LE-XL
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 94.0.4606.61 Chrome 94.0.4606.61
  • Eagle Type: LE-XL C-03
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »
I didn't use staples. Used T-88 glue which doesn't require high clamping pressures. Fortunately, I had a quantity (50) of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 1" steel plate blocks.  I placed one block on each gusset.  It seemed to work ok.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal