Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
XL / Re: A little progress XL H-58
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on Today at 01:43:59 PM »
Hi tech spring compressor..

Always exciting when a pile of tubing sits on it's wheels for the first time.  :)

« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on May 07, 2021, 09:05:27 AM »
Those guys on second shift must do nothing except sit around and drink coffee.. :)
Found some time yesterday afternoon and made the V strut.

Finish welded it this morning, and naturally the holes wouldn't line up even though Id tacked the V in 6 places.
Not to worry. If you haven't used these, they are called a bullet.

Seems appropriate. :grin: All thread is a few thousandths undersize, and the bullet nose helps alignment. They are also the hot ticket on final assembly. Install the bullet, then drive it through the fittings with the AN hardware and a copper hammer.
Yay.. it's going to work.

I'll be able to sit in it and make airplane noises before long.. ;)
Off Topics and General Interest / Re: Low Weight Flight Instraments
« Last post by Mark Kramer on May 06, 2021, 05:20:53 AM »
Hi,
So are you saying that the tube on the back of your alt/airspeed/vsi was loose like mine? It literally seems like it is not connected to anything internally. You can even rotate it without resistance. This is my question. Maybe it is normal and just blows a little air onto a paddle wheel or something.
« Last post by TezzaT on May 05, 2021, 08:50:55 PM »

Yes Mark I have used a couple in my XL Eagle. A multi airspeed/altimeter and their slip indicator. So far, they seem to be working OK.
Have tried to include of photos, hope they come through .
Terry Smith

DSC08769.JPG DSC08771.JPG
« Last post by Mark Kramer on May 05, 2021, 04:37:09 PM »
Hi everybody,
My Lexl (plans I-77) is finished and at an airport. Finally. I installed a Belite multi function airspeed,Vsi,Altimeter. When I was about to connect pitot tube line to the instrument I noticed the short tube on the instrument is very loose, almost like it wasn’t connected on the inside. Is this normal? Has anybody had any experience with one of these units? You can only contact them by email, and apparently their tech is out till late next week! Hoping somehow this is normal, anybody know?
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on May 04, 2021, 02:46:33 PM »
Main gear welded and axles fit up.

A die grinder gets rid of most of the after effects of welding, and a 5/8" reamer cleans it up.

Only takes a couple of minutes..but.. it is an excellent way to break a wrist and/or get slapped upside your head if you aren't careful. A half inch drill is a lot stronger than you are, and a reamer just loves to grab stuff.  ;)
None of the landing gear drawings is working for me, so I ran strings from corner to corner and will build to fit.

"Tweeeeet." Quitting whistle.. I'll let the second shift guys take over.  ;)
Off Topics and General Interest / Re: Landing gear, springs, wheels etc
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on May 04, 2021, 04:29:01 AM »
I've bought new springs (since my previous post). Visit McMaster-Carr and have a look at PN. 9573K81. Less than $9 each.

Vince
This is the above spring..
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on May 03, 2021, 11:16:18 AM »
I hate it when dimensions don't add up..I can't make any of the dimensions on the print work out. It says the gear is slanted forward at 12 degrees in two places. It also says the center of the axle should be under the leading edge of the wing.. or 6 inches forward.
On another page, it shows the 3/4" tube to be 24 inches long, and the rear 5/8" tube 36.
None of those dimensions work. :P
To put the axle c/l on the leading edge of the wing requires the gear to be 19 and change degrees.
I finally decided to make everything 15 degrees, but even at that the 36 inch dimension is way long.

Oh, well.. time to shoot the engineer and commence production.  :)

3/4" tube finish welded to the axle tube, and the rear bushings welded in.

With any luck at all, I'll have ol Bullet on the gear by the end of the week..
4 Cylinder / Re: "Non aviation" VW engine opinions...
« Last post by Theodore on April 30, 2021, 04:44:42 AM »
i have snow mobil carbs with heat, (in box on shelf somewhere) but think there too big for two cyl. buy them new from artic cat or polaris and much cheaper than Rev Mast. Rmast good for four cyclinder type four)
4 Cylinder / Re: "Non aviation" VW engine opinions...
« Last post by Kamcoman77 on April 29, 2021, 01:55:05 PM »
You could save a lot of money going with a 32mm Mikuni instead of The RevFlow, if you want a single carb. If using dual Mikunis, like a lot of us, don't go any larger than 26mm or you will compromise airflow velocity. If interested in the RevFlow, be sure to read up on it. There have been issues that RevMaster has supposedly corrected. I think a lot of the Sonnex owners are using the RevFlow on larger than stock, 4-cylinder VW's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal