General Category > Off Topics and General Interest

Latex Paint Update at Airventure

(1/3) > >>

mmorrison123:
I just got the schedule for the forums at Airventure and I will be presenting on Wednesday at 11:30 in Forum Bldg 1. This year I will try to share what I've learned on the Micro Mong project and discuss issues that others have encountered with spraying, rolling, brushing, sanding, polishing, and selecting paint. I hope to see some of you there so please stop in and say hi. I will also try to post the updated powerpoint on the wienerdogaero.com site.

Malcolm Morrison

Bugsmasher:
Any news here with this? Had a bad time with latex...recovering fuselage.  Only can make remarks about my trip with it....just ordered more materials to recover.....others seem to get along well with it though.

mmorrison123:
Bugsmasher

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with latex paint. You are not the only one. I've been coaching a friend through the paint process and he's been struggling. Could you share details on how you applied the paint and what the issues were?

Thanks
Malcolm
www.wienerdogaero.com

CHARLES DEBOER:
I have had very good luck using Micro Mung's method.  Just thin glidden primmer with water or windshield washer -25% and apply with a foam brush.  Don't do a large area.  If you do your edges of the paint dry out.  Keep your painted edge wet and keep brushing with the tip of the foam brush.  Let a coat dry over night (12 hours)  and very, very lightly sand with 600 grit wet or dry sand paper.  Just enough to knock off any dust or foam specks from the brush.  If you see brush strokes you need to thin the paint out some more (not a lot).  After 4 cross coats primer apply 2 cross coats of exterior satin and sand with 1500 and 2000 grit.  Your finish will feel as smooth as a baby's butt.  You will almost see a reflection.  For even better finish follow with a buffer and auto polish. Not the kind with grit or cleaner in it (just paste wax).  I haven't done that yet but getting ready to try.

Bugsmasher:
No problems on applying materials. It is only my project is weight critical for 103....and it had surpassed the limits on the test panel that was prepared with the fuse , at the same time, of which a 1 sq. ft. was cut and weighed against polyfiber product. The primer was rolled and tipped first. 24 hrs between coats.  Scotchbrite to nib dust...then a 3:1 spray coat.  2 coats of color followed and sprayed out nice. I had only about 50% blockage of light if that much. All brilliant white primer and color... using only dihydrogen monoxide as a reducer. Its that it was getting too heavy to be 100% light fast and I need the fabric to last as long as possible...
My UL polyfiber process is a brushed on coat of polybrush followed by 2 coats of polyspray after tapes. It is not quite 100% light fast...but is light weight. If exact weights are needed- I will dig the sample out of the trash....but you have to remember....was trying to get much lifetime as possible from fabric.....more paint=more weight.....
being light makes better use of any power for performance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version