Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Chuck's XL in Indiana / Re: A little progress XL H-58
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on December 03, 2021, 02:44:54 PM »
Finish welded all that stuff and yay, the holes still line up. Need I say that it's pretty easy to warp a fairly complicated weldment? I'll try not to break my arm patting myself on the back.  :)
The mount holes on the Verner are .345". Weird dimension that fits nothing. I like to have a ream fit on aircraft fasteners, so used the mount as a reamer jig to ream for an AN6 and keep the hand drill perpendicular.

Sweat bullets a little.. after all these engines are NLA and the last time I looked they wanted $10,000 (!) for one.. :) but all is well.
Now, I have to figure out how to mount the ring to the airplane. I'll let that thought marinate overnight.  ;)

« Last post by Theodore on December 02, 2021, 10:36:47 AM »
...Jesus was a carpenter

Thanks for the compliments on coping skills

« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on December 02, 2021, 10:28:32 AM »
Assembly fit up and ready to tack.

Tacked it, took it off the fixture, and headed out to the engine to see if the mount holes would no kidding line up before finish welding.

Whew!  :) It's a pretty good buzz when things work out..
Time to make some dummy isolators so I don't set the rubber in them on fire.  :o
What's the purpose of all this, you say? Every mount I've seen on Youtube that actually works  ;)   is really heavy looking and complicated. This doesn't weigh much. Will it work? TBD.
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on December 01, 2021, 03:05:43 PM »
Fit up and ready to tack.

Engineering change complete.  :)

Headed out to the hardware store. Tomorrow should tell the tale.. fingers crossed that the Verner mount holes are where they say they are..
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on December 01, 2021, 07:56:09 AM »
No. Tell me why there are no architects in heaven..
Wish I had your mad coping skilz.  :)
« Last post by Theodore on December 01, 2021, 06:14:58 AM »
several smaller quarter pieces looks like it will fly! i'm no engaear dat fer sure, im da guy that builds their cocktail napkin sketch(underbudget and ontime).

enclosure is my bending short cut...

You know why theres no architects is heaven?... Sorry Scott.
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on November 30, 2021, 03:07:02 PM »
Thanks to you guys for the tips. I think I've said before, though, that once in a while in a project, you need to shoot the engineer and commence production.  :grin:
Heating sort of worked, but it was very fussy just how much heat you use. Just a little too much and.. oh well. I did get two quarter circles that are pretty good. I was thinking the best I could do would be two half circles. I have just enough 3/4 tubing left to finish it if I do this:

Yeah, I could drive down to Indianapolis and (cough cough) *buy* more tubing..  :) make some tools, and do 2 half circles.
Or, I can cut up what I have and finish this job. I'll take door number two.."Sometimes, a guy just needs to know his limitations."
« Last post by okdonn on November 30, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »
If you are a member of EAA, watch this video: https://www.eaa.org/Videos/Hints-for-Homebuilders/Tube-Fabric/6231259463001

Basically, cut a piece of strong wood (I glued two pieces of 3/4" plywood together) to the radius of the bend you want, then route a groove the same radius as your tube. Make a U to go over the tube while in the groove, drill a hole through it and the form wood and use a bolt or pin to hold it in place. Bend the tube as needed.
« Last post by scottiniowa on November 30, 2021, 07:52:17 AM »
Just to add a bit more to this Chuck, (and anyone else doing this)  With your tools that I have seen in the photos, you do not need to make the die blocks to fit your bender, Rather, the inner die block is held in your vice, with the outer die block held with two tie straps to the axis line of the inner die block. 

of course you need to hold or maintain the tubing prior to the bend (actually the whole time) but I know you would figure that out.

Depending on your radius, you can make many little bends, or one larger one for the part. Make a mark on your tubing and die for consistent bends (can't guess here) i.e.  if you have a mark every 6" and bend to your next mark, and repeat, you should be on track.  Might be clear as mud, but hopefully clear enough.

lastly the conduit bender works for some tubing, not all, i.e. you can't bend 1/2" tubing with a 3/4" OD conduit bender.
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on November 30, 2021, 05:15:46 AM »
Thanks, Scott. My original plan was to make dies like you mention for my little bending machine, but it isn't big enough for that. Harbor Freight makes a tubing roller for 1" tubing, but I hated to spend the big bucks for a tool that I would only use once.
Hmmm, a conduit bender isn't *that* expensive..probably could rent one.. if today's method turns out as poorly as yesterday, I'll give that a try.  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal