Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Chuck's XL in Indiana / Re: A little progress XL H-58
« Last post by miniman on January 18, 2022, 09:10:22 AM »
Hey Chuck, you do excellent work! But you knew that  :D Do you come back and reheat the tig welded areas for stress relief?
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on January 17, 2022, 02:35:07 PM »
Mickey Mouse setup to ream the mount tubes after welding..

Checked fitup and it still bolts to the firewall.  :)
Yay.. bolted right up to the engine.

Another bite off the elephant.
Double Seaters / cabin eagle materials list
« Last post by krheacm on January 16, 2022, 11:46:17 AM »
Has anyone put together a spreadsheet of cabin eagles materials.
Working with the double eagles list and putting it in a spreadsheet. 

Thanks

Keith Rhea
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on January 15, 2022, 04:25:26 PM »
Fit up and tacked all the tubes. Since I don't have Theodore's mad coping skillz  :) it took all...freakin...day. Tacked it all up, and whew. I didn't weld it to the mounting bolts, one of my biggest fears. The bolts came right out.

I'd bead blasted the crap out of the bolts (to get rid of the plating) and ground flats on them to still hold location, but give a minimal area for the weld to stick.
I think I've mentioned before that I love it when a plan comes together?  :)

Tweeeet! Quitting time. It's beer o'clock.
« Last post by Chuck in Indiana on January 13, 2022, 03:31:55 PM »
I'm baaaak. (Ahnold reference)  :) We've been out in SoCal making it rain for the last month or so. *somebody's* gotta do it, and I have a super power. That means of course, that I couldn't ride my motorcycle, but I took one for the team.
Let's see now.. where were we? Oh, yeah.. mounting the engine. Bolted up the weldment I made last year to the canvas bakelite piece, and screwed that to the 2X4s. You can see the aluminum pieces that replace the vibration dampers to keep from burning up the rubber when welding.

Now, I need to make some spools that bolt to the firewall, and then it's just a simple matter of fitting tubes between the mount, firewall, and welding. (he said, knowing there will be issues.)  :))
If I had thought this through, I'd have had the water jet guy cut these out, too. Probably would only have charged a couple of dollars extra. Oh, no.. I'd rather take an hour or two, lay them out, drill, ream, make them round on the lathe.
Dummy.  :)

That's it for today. Stay tuned..
XL / Re: LEXL D-83
« Last post by DA Miller on January 05, 2022, 07:37:33 PM »
misterbill1964: If you are still around and want to talk LE-XL I'm, in Waynesboro, VA building an LE-XL. Email me at damiller@lumos.net
LE / Re: wing rib dimensions
« Last post by scottiniowa on January 04, 2022, 07:48:48 PM »
My full size rib drawing from Leonard was also inaccurate as were many others who received them. Search "rib dimensions" and you will see many references to this.  Some people have had success with matching up the 8 1/2  x  11 sheets that came with the plans.  Others have had good success with the Iron Design drawings.  Since the Legal Eagles are slow (60 mph) there are many rib airfoils that work. The 27 1/2 dimension is important to get the wing attach fittings close to matching the fuselage attach points on the fuselage.    The good news is everyone finally worked it out. ::)
DA Miller really nailed this, as they almost always work out.. but you have to stick to it., NO changing back and forth between rib layouts, no matter how minor.  At the speed of the aircraft, no one will be able to say this slight variation will fly better than the next unless you go into a "different profile completely" and I don't think this is the place for that kind of diversion.

The goal (in my opinion) is and always should be, to go into the build knowing exactly each step that will be coming next.. No head scratching, no "I hope this works" thoughts.  Thus the reason for my supplemental plans in the first place..  To that end, I think they have accomplished that goal, but many others have proved that a "stick to the plan, has worked rule"
Best of success to all!
LE / Re: Horizontal stab incidence
« Last post by scottiniowa on January 04, 2022, 07:33:27 PM »
Very nice drawing.
It looked familiar,  :D
« Last post by Kamcoman77 on January 04, 2022, 12:27:18 PM »
Very nice drawing. Scott says it looks familiar. I wonder why? Scott may not be "The Man Of Steel" but he may be the mysterious "Man Of Iron"
« Last post by moserwe on January 04, 2022, 09:58:01 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.  The picture below shows the line that the wing attach points make for both the LE and the LEXL.  The wing attach line for the LE are parallel to the airfoil chord line, while the wing attach line for the LEXL is different by 3 degrees to the airfoil chord line.  The angle of incidence is 2 degrees for the LE, while the angle of incidence for the LEXL is 5 degrees (2 degrees fuse + 3 degrees wing attach line to chord line).

Hope the attach pic come thru.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal