How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: New 1/2 VW from Lone Star called Javelina  (Read 5798 times)

Offline sideband

• C-130 Fanboy
  • Cabin Eagle #21
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 73.0.3683.86 Chrome 73.0.3683.86
    • HomeBrewAviation.com
  • Eagle Type: LEXL & CE
New 1/2 VW from Lone Star called Javelina
« on: April 01, 2019, 10:42:31 AM »
Searched the forums and didn't see any mention of these. I think it's a pretty good idea and look forward to seeing this project come together. Basically the same 1/2 VW, but with Harley Sportster jugs/heads. I've always wanted to take a motorcycle stator/rotor charging system and put it on the flywheel side of the engine. So I'm glad to see he's planning on doing the same.

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline kennyrayandersen

• Browser:
  • Firefox 77.0 Firefox 77.0
  • Eagle Type: like Eagle XL
Re: New 1/2 VW from Lone Star called Javelina
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 08:15:23 AM »
It looks like they have two -- one which produces 75 hp and comes in at 126 pounds, and one that features a full magnesium case 89/82mm bore and stroke at 64 cubes (1050cc) and 60 HP with a total weight of 106 lbs less starter.

I'd think the smaller one might have a chance and making the cut and it's 60 HP which is more than a lot of the other engines in this category. Sounds like they are using some Harley parts (heads and cylinders) to get better flow and more HP. I thought is was interesting. Perhaps not as glamorous as the 3-cylinder Verner, but might functionally be better?
Thinking of building a Legal Eagle

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 79.0 Firefox 79.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 11:08:21 AM »
I like the idea...  The heat handling of the fin area, the hemi head and the CR allows so much power output.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and I do hope they keep going on with development, but there are 2 glaring omissions I see from the pictures on their web site.

• That much power needs to have the thrust taken at the front of the crank, else the crank breaks.
  • That much rotating and reciprocating iron needs to be mass balanced else the shake is going to break your plane.

Therefore I must assume the Javelina is not ready for prime time, and I hope anyone that flys behind it cables it to their airframe.

P.S.
Should anyone find out different, please keep us posted.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline jrbirdman47

• Donor 2024
  • Builder
  • Mac OS X 10.12.6 Mac OS X 10.12.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 12.1.2 Safari 12.1.2
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 04:50:24 PM »
Was in contact with this company for a while but now they won't even answer the phone. I'm betting it didn't work out as advertised and they won't be produced. I had questions about a few things I thought might be problems, but I got no answers so I gave up and moved on. While I'd love to see this one come to market I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 79.0 Firefox 79.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
P.S.
Should anyone find out different, please keep us posted.

I watched a video on their web site of him talking about taking the thrust at the front of the crank on the 4 cylinder on a faster airplane...  So that is prolly an option on the 2 banger as well. Quote: "We do anything you can possibly imagine to these engines".

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal