How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: DE REAR SPAR STRUT ATTATCH ass'Y  (Read 2676 times)

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 44.0 Firefox 44.0
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
DE REAR SPAR STRUT ATTATCH ass'Y
« on: March 14, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
Howdy fellas,  re:  DE PLANS SHEET 40-B    Calls for (2) sticks 1 glued under upper capstrip and 1 glued to top of lower capstrip with a "filler block" between them.  Question:   Wouldn't a block shaped like the 3pcs called for in the plans with the 1/8" plywood plate be just as strong?   Ready to begin cutting pieces for rear spars and can build either way.   Just thought a single reinforced board would be just as effective.  'Preciate your input.  (Building as a LSA)    Thanks.
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

Offline Richfroh

• Rich Frohmiller
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
Re: DE REAR SPAR STRUT ATTATCH ass'Y
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:38 AM »
I don't see why you couldn't make the filler block in one piece. I made mine per the plans but either should work. Just my opinion as I'm not an engineer.
Rich Frohmiller

Offline John Reinking

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 44.0 Firefox 44.0
  • Eagle Type: DE-E-72
Re: DE REAR SPAR STRUT ATTATCH ass'Y
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Rich.    Felt a bit uneasy about deviating from Leonard's plan so went ahead and followed it for the first of the two Rear Main Spars.   Came out fine.    Wondering if Leonard's idea is that it provides load spreading and reinforcement for the wing strut.   Seemed logical to me so, with no other experience to draw from, just followed the plans.

Cordially,   John R Reinking/Woodinville, WA  DE
Retired US Postal Service 6 years, Sport Pilot (Aeronca 1946), first time builder and enjoying every bit of it (well, there are those gussets).   married (49 years), have had the flying bug forever.       reinkings@comcast.net

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal