How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: PLASTIC!  (Read 82 times)

Offline the_imperfectionest

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 123.0.0.0 Chrome 123.0.0.0
PLASTIC!
« on: April 11, 2024, 10:26:12 AM »
Hello all!

I'm a bit new to the LE bunch!

Anyways, I have mostly restored a Maxair Hummer and now took on a Mitchell wing.

But I dunno, the whole energy of 'You ain't gunna tell me no!' of the LE is important to me.

To the business:

Has anyone tried to 3d print wing ribs?
If so what material?
If not, why?

As I ponder this, I also have to ask if anyone has measured the temps inside the wing cavities on extremely warm days. (PETg Plastic is moody(soft) up above about 190f)

And then I ponder if anyone has done specific structural testing on wood ribs to see what their fracture points are when tension is applied to various parts.

I don't have plans yet, so don't know the actual chord of the thing, but I do have a 40"x40"x40" 3d printer I call meterbot that we could leverage

Offline Aaron

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
Re: PLASTIC!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 04:41:35 PM »
That sounds interesting, and as much as I like 3d printing, please don't 3D print (speaking polymers) ANY structural part of an airplane. The sun's UV is a powerful killer to long lasting outdoor machines like airplanes. I have stuck my hand in inside the wing cavity on a hot day and it's definitely hot enough to make concern considering PLA is fully manipulative at as cool as 200F.If it doesn't fail right away, it will surely fatigue and fail before you would like it to. Spruce sticks are cheap, easy, proven, and quite strong. I recall a test by Joe Spencer on Youtube at one point in time that displayed a hard to believe, massive amount of force (cant remember the number) required to break the LE wing rib in designed loading conditions. I am an advocate for experimental aircraft, utilizing recognized acceptable methods to aircraft construction. Build the structure safely, and play with 3D printing non-structurally. For example, my LE sports a 3D printed radio mount, coax antenna bulkead, and things of the like...

Besides, the rib building was one of my favorite parts, don't short yourself on that! ;)

Offline the_imperfectionest

• Linux Linux
  • Browser:
Re: PLASTIC!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 05:12:11 PM »
Oh, yeah, PLA would certainly be a bad choice for anuthing like that!

And UV is certainly the other equal concern

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal