How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL plan modifications  (Read 4910 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.0 Safari 11.0
XL plan modifications
« on: December 13, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »
Hello everyone
I am a newby to everything this group is about. New to airplanes. New to flying. But I do share your excitement.
Always wanted to go out in the garage and build something that would fly. Got smarter as I aged and decided to buy a set of plans. Sent off for the XL plans a couple of days ago.
I’m not a little fella. I’m 6’8” and 325. I will be at the 275 mark before I fly but would prefer to not have to fly at the upper end of the weight limit. Has anyone ever considered putting a double eagle wing on an XL single seat frame?
I’m considering stretching the cockpit a few inches and using the DE wing along with a 45 hp 1/2 VW engine. I’m going to do my best to stay in the ultralight category. Not interested in the expense of licensing at this time.
Thoughts?

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 57.0 Firefox 57.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
Re: XL plan modifications
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:11:51 AM »
Build it as the plans show, except for raising wing height a little. When building first flying machine there is a lot to learn and when changes are made it is easy to spend next several years building and overcoming complications only you are experiencing. If you build per plans there is lots of help and lots of people that have been in same place before to answer questions and you-tube video to provide assistance.  As far as weight goes, having a goal to lose weight to fly works out as a great reward and reason to loose.  Flying the Legal Eagle XL with 45 hp 1/2VW is what it was designed for and flying at that weight it will feel heavy, but if low time pilot you will not notice it, as you loose more weight it will become more fun.  Build it light, keep it light and go flying.
Les Homan

Offline Jimmy

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »
Sage advise I know! I have watched every U tube video out there. Was hoping there was a pioneer who might have undertaken a similar project. I plan on reaching out to Mr Milholland for advice. I think the DE was going to be for a heavy friend. Super Eagle. If all else fails I will follow the plans.
I have really enjoyed the U tube videos you and the other Eagles have put out.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 62.0.3202.94 Chrome 62.0.3202.94
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »
Les gave good/great advice, but I will add a bit more, --- you being  new to all this, may not have heard.

Simply the 1 in 10 rule of building.

That is 1 change from plans, easily will/could/often does,  make 10 more changes, either in time added or parts that need to be changed or combination of both.  Only with years of experience does this not hold true. But it does catch the best of builders at times.

And this does NOT take into consideration, of how it is going to fly...when done.  I don't think anyone would want to add "discouraging changes or complexity to a plans built craft"
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Tom XL-7

• Tom XL-7
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 63.0.3239.84 Chrome 63.0.3239.84
  • Eagle Type: XL
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:22:55 AM »
welcome to the site Jimmy
You will find a lot of help here
I just want to add some thoughts as you have requested.
The 275# weight limit flew with a smaller engine than the 45.
More power does not change the gross weight. That is part of the wing load calculation.
You will gain some edge in performance
At 6'8" you are a large man. 275 should be achievable. 
Perhaps even lower. you will know when you get there.
modifications for size have been done. John Bolding has made more fuselages than anyone.
try to reach out to him and Leonard. 
All the eagles use the same rib. The double is 12" longer per panel. And a lot heavier in the spars.
XL has 120.3 square feet of wing, the double has 127. It may not be possible to make ultralight weight with the heavier wing.
It was also designed for more power. There will be a tradeoff between lift and drag. Not sure it would work out with the 45 in your favor.
Build as light as you can and lose as much as is healthy.
I hope you enjoy the journey.
Tom XL-7

Offline Jimmy

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 07:56:49 AM »
Thanks Tom, this is the kind of info I’m looking for. I like to make informed decisions and you actually helped me with what questions to ask. When my plans come I will go over them thoroughly and reach out to John and Leonard. John should be glad I no longer live in Baytown. I’d be looking for an apprenticeship.

Offline Flyguyeddy

• Browser:
  • Firefox 56.0 Firefox 56.0
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:10:37 AM »
Build it as the plans show, except for raising wing height a little. When building first flying machine there is a lot to learn and when changes are made it is easy to spend next several years building and overcoming complications only you are experiencing. If you build per plans there is lots of help and lots of people that have been in same place before to answer questions and you-tube video to provide assistance.  As far as weight goes, having a goal to lose weight to fly works out as a great reward and reason to loose.  Flying the Legal Eagle XL with 45 hp 1/2VW is what it was designed for and flying at that weight it will feel heavy, but if low time pilot you will not notice it, as you loose more weight it will become more fun.  Build it light, keep it light and go flying.

how much would you raise the wing?

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 58.0 Firefox 58.0
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
Amount to raise wing depends on your height, if under 6 foot building per plans should work but if you are 6'6" tall raising wing 2 or 3 inches may be required.  There are other options to raise wing about 2" with-out any weight, study the plans, end of sings and mounting of the wing attach straps at fuselage end.
Les Homan

Offline Flyguyeddy

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »
What about making them a bit wider at the fuselage?   Maybe leave some room for a center mounted tank? 

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »
adding weight
Les Homan

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal