How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Oratex Fabric Covering  (Read 3187 times)

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 59.0 Firefox 59.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
Oratex Fabric Covering
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:29:13 AM »
Has anyone used Oratex to cover with?  This is a practice panel I made up with scrap 6061.  Smaller version of say a vertical stab.  1st time covering anything and 1st try at Oratex.  I think the gusset rivets need padding of some sort.  Also, I glued the fabric to the gussets.  I'm wondering if I should be just gluing the perimeter of the panel and stretch the fabric over the gussets.  I think it would be easier, look better and maybe less chance a rivet head will eventually wear through. Any thoughts? 

As mentioned above, I have zero covering experience.  I did prime the aluminum with Etching primer prior to covering it.  The glue seems to really hold the fabric in place and the fabric stretches nicely.  I'm using Oratex UL600.  I don't have any seam tape yet.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 60.0 Firefox 60.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
Re: Oratex Fabric Covering
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:54 AM »
Oratex questions answered...  

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/31_7/builder_spotlight/oratex_covering_21029-1.html

For official video scroll all the way down.

New word for me toward the end of the article...  Gauche...  pronounced "gosh".

gauche
ɡōSH/
adjective
adjective: gauche
  • lacking ease or grace; unsophisticated and socially awkward.
    synonyms:awkward, gawky, inelegant, graceless, ungraceful, ungainly, maladroit, klutzy, inept; More
    lacking in social grace(s), unsophisticated, uncultured, uncultivated, unrefined, raw, inexperienced, unworldly

"Rose was embarrassed by her gauche relatives"

antonyms:elegant, sophisticated
Origin

mid 18th century: French, literally ‘left.’

Mistakes You Must Not Make

• Do not bring fabric and airframe together until the adhesive has dried completely.
  • Do not try to use a poor quality or non-digital heatgun or iron.
  • Do not attempt to shrink the fabric until the glue has had at least 24 hours to set (longer in a cold environment).
  • Never allow the uncured adhesive to freeze (freezing will ruin the adhesive).
  • Never rely on heat alone when gluing fabric; you must use both heat and pressure.
  • Do not allow the fabric to move while the glue is setting up.
  • Do not forget to provide for drain/ventilation holes.
  • Do not forget to provide specified minimum overlap (2" trailing edge, 4" leading edge).
  • Never use the waxed rib stitching/lacing thread of other manufacturers. Only use Oratex non-waxed thread!
  • Do not follow concepts and instructions of other types of covering systems!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 60.0 Firefox 60.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
Re: Oratex Fabric Covering
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »
Thanks Dan.  I guess I'll follow these guidelines.  I up-ed the temp to 350F which worked a lot better.  And I purchased an iron typically used for RC aircraft covering which is a lot easier to work with.  I'm surprised no one is trying Oratex.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal