How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Legal Eagle XL ORV with Verner 3V  (Read 12237 times)

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 60.0 Firefox 60.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
Legal Eagle XL ORV with Verner 3V
« on: June 13, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »
Les Homan

Offline LSaupe

• Browser:
  • Chrome 63.0.3239.132 Chrome 63.0.3239.132
  • Eagle Type: XL
Re: Legal Eagle XL ORV with Verner 3V
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:14:49 PM »
Hey, when did you change engines?

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:03:54 PM »
Les Homan

Offline Tom H

• Beta testers
  • Built/flew LEU, built/flying DE
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: DE, LEU
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 06:04:12 AM »
Les, I bet you are starting to like that engine!  For us, the slow rpm, compared to the half vw is strange to get used to.
Tom H
Stubby, a BDE
Treehugger, LEU

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.0 Safari 11.0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 06:22:13 AM »
that 67” prop our front is going tontake some getting used to.  it seems huge.
Les Homan

Offline RickCav

• Mac OS X 10.13.4 Mac OS X 10.13.4
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.1 Safari 11.1
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 07:21:50 AM »
For the bigger prop, did you have to shift the thrust line?  Lengthen the landing gear?

RC

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »
centerline of engine raised 3”. 
Les Homan

Offline RickCav

• Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.1.1 Safari 11.1.1
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »
Thanks.  When you have accumulated some air time it would be great to hear about the flying characteristics compared to the 1/2 VW.  I love that radial, low RPM sound!

RC

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »
to early for much defenative comments as of yet. still testing and getting things as i want them
Les Homan

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 61.0 Firefox 61.0
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »
Update on progress so far:
Carb settings do not take much movement to make a difference. The LO side screw was easy to get set but still working on HI side screw. From what I can found out starting point is 2 turns out and it should not take more than 1/4 turn in or out from there. At 2 turns out the CHT is running about 300 and EGT at 800 at full power. At 1-7/8 turn out CHT is 350 and EGT is 900.  The CHT seems to respond to changes more than the EGT.  I have tried a total of 3 different locations for EGT and have moved both CHT and EGT to lower right cylinder, reads same as the top cylinder.  I still have some tuning to do but it is doing good. In level flight without at same altitude at WOT i am seeing 2,400 RPM.  Climb is consistently better than the 1/2 VW. When we get the starter and ring gear removed, once we figure out how to start the 3 cylinder radial by hand proping, we should be about 3 lbs. lighter than the 1/2 VW.
Vibration and sound at idle is good, there is a range between about 900 and 1300 the engine likes to shake. Above this range it again smooths out and does good.  Flying behind the radial brings new vibrations and sounds i need to get used to.  When the head set is removed in flight the engine sounds like it is just loafing along, more prop and wind noise than engine noise.
Les Homan

Offline RickCav

• Mac OS X 10.11.6 Mac OS X 10.11.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.1.1 Safari 11.1.1
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »
Thanks!  This is valuable information.

RC

Offline dapug

• Browser:
  • Chrome 69.0.3497.100 Chrome 69.0.3497.100
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 07:07:06 PM »
Holy heck, that sound is epic!  This does not sound like a tiny airplane.  Ha!  This is so great!

Shoot, I'm torn on what I want to use.  I just dunno if I can get past that obstructed view.  Also that shaking... wow. Seems a bit much, no?  Looks like this thing just wants to rattle right off the firewall.

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 12.0 Safari 12.0
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »
obstruction not an issue
Les Homan

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 63.0 Firefox 63.0
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 02:39:23 PM »
Update on progress to date:
Nearing 25 hours of total time on engine
I do not notice the engine restricting my forward view in any way, i would suppose if a person had never flow a tail dragger it may seem that way but after flying a biplane with limited visibility forward and down i have no problems with the engine blocking view.
Still working on carb and carb settings for best performance and considering changing to a mikuni carb from the Walbro.  This would eliminate the fuel pump.
Engine vibration is not an issue at idle or power but there is a range in between that i go thru as quickly as possible. 
Engine mount gusset's have been an issue and have resulted in more than one broken engine mount. 
The 3 cylinder radial has lots of torque at low rpm and out climbs and will out run the 1/2VW of same horsepower. 
Engine never sounds like it is running very fast and at cruise sounds more like an old tractor running then airplane engine. It is a few DBA quieter than the 1/2 VW at cruise rpm.
Total weight without the starter is approximately 4 pounds less than the 1/2VW total weight. 
Finally figured out how to hand prop engine. The 1/2VW was easy to hand prop from behind prop and if it started at part throttle or even full throttle was not a problem in that plane moved forward into you and it was easy to just move throttle to idle. The 3V has to be propped from in front of the prop and at idle it is not bad, just hope i never have to do it at part throttle. I have a pair of large wheel chocks i use when propping. 
Verner has been very good to work with and have been very helpful.
More to come as additional hours flown.
Les Homan

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 69.0.3497.100 Chrome 69.0.3497.100
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 03:35:57 AM »
Update on progress to date:
Nearing 25 hours of total time on engine

Still working on carb and carb settings for best performance and considering changing to a mikuni carb from the Walbro.  This would eliminate the fuel pump.
Engine vibration is not an issue at idle or power but there is a range in between that i go thru as quickly as possible. 
Engine mount gusset's have been an issue and have resulted in more than one broken engine mount. 
The 3 cylinder radial has lots of torque at low rpm and out climbs and will out run the 1/2VW of same horsepower. 
Engine never sounds like it is running very fast and at cruise sounds more like an old tractor running then airplane engine. It is a few DBA quieter than the 1/2 VW at cruise rpm.
Total weight without the starter is approximately 4 pounds less than the 1/2VW total weight. 

More to come as additional hours flown.
I like the report Less, but have some questions on a few details.
Perhaps I was mistaken, I thought this was a proven set up overseas?  if so, is there fuel different than hours, causing you to have tweak the carb or even consider changing it. I would have thought as a mfg of the engine, Verner would have EXACTLY the best set up. I understand it needs it. (your tweaking)  But what are they (across the pond) doing that works that we (here) seem to need to do something different?

I guess the same would go for the mounts?  wasn't that figured out where the engine was mfg? I am not saying this is not required as it certainly seems to be... But if it don't work one way, and does another way? it seems like the choice might in front of us.  Perhaps this is an issue everywhere and your getting a good handle on it.
Keep up the good work!
Best of success!
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal