How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Station 1 Motor Mount  (Read 11398 times)

Offline John Harmon

• Building XL and 1/2 VW
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 33.0.1750.166 Chrome 33.0.1750.166
    • My Builders BLOG
  • Eagle Type: Eagle XL
Re: Station 1 Motor Mount
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Charles, I drew my station 1 up in auto cad. My gussets were designed from that drawing. I haven't welded the rings in yet because I was dissatisfied with the job I did welding the gussets in... too much undercutting of the tubes. I am out of 1/16" steel to remake the gussets.

JH
John Harmon
XL-D-06

Offline Rich Snyder

• Mac OS X 10.9.2 Mac OS X 10.9.2
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.2 Safari 7.0.2
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »
Charles- I did notice what you are talking about and made mine with a bit more radius, for a bit more meat at the unsupported edge. This left me with an area of metal at what will be my welded edge that could probably be trimmed a bit for weight savings, but I think I will leave it on. I feel it will support the engine vibration evenly in both horizontal and vertical, station one tubes. That is the way the plans show the welds done. So much for "feels good engineering". 
Attached is a photo of one gusset just taped in place. The white dot represents where the hole will be and the distance to the unsupported edge is about 3/4 ". Rich.

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 Mac OS X 10.7.5
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.1.2 Safari 6.1.2
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »
Thanks to all.  I think that I wanted some re-assurance or "feel good" response.  Sorry if I beat this thing to death.  The group is outstanding and I am thankful you guys are out there.  I wouldn't be able to finish this plane without this group.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal