How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: XL Fuselage Drawing  (Read 11354 times)

Offline Kamcoman77

• Donor 2024
  • Building LE-XL H-51
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 76.0.3809.100 Chrome 76.0.3809.100
Re: XL Fuselage Drawing
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 10:07:56 AM »
I just clicked on your link and it came up fine. Drawings look good. Are you planning to draw some closeups of assemblies, like controls, ailerons, landing gear, etc?

Offline okawbow

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.0 Safari 11.0
    • Black Rhino Bow Co.
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 12:22:06 PM »
Hi Everyone.
I really appreciate all the drawings and building hints on this site. I am trying to decide between the LE, or LE XL. I weigh in at 200# and am about 6’ tall.

It really helps to see these drawings when trying to decide on the model I want to build. I’m sure I will have lots of questions once I get started.

Chuck

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 07:14:35 AM »
Strange - I looked at the link with another browser where I was not logged on and I could still see it.  Maybe I was still messing with the gallery at the time.
interesting enough, going to this connection worked just fine. So all good. Keep up the good work!
cheers
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline kalazzerx

• Chris
  • Chris
  • Mac OS X 10.14 Mac OS X 10.14
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 68.0 Firefox 68.0
    • buildlog.virtualmakerspace.com
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 09:55:32 AM »
I just clicked on your link and it came up fine. Drawings look good. Are you planning to draw some closeups of assemblies, like controls, ailerons, landing gear, etc?
Yes that is the plan.  I have been trying to get the general layout complete and had been focusing on finishing the wings and stuff like that but I think I about at the point where I can start working on the details.  I was trying to find an existing 3D model of a VW Engine to that I could hack on to show a 1/2 but was not to successful at that.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline kalazzerx

• Chris
  • Chris
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 76.0.3809.111 Chrome 76.0.3809.111
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 05:43:14 PM »
Actually I did pull that but found the design difficult to modify because of the format.  Working with it but slow going.  I may just use it as a reference and redraw it in fusion 360 format.

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 06:18:21 PM »

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline tkyler

• Mac OS X 10.13.6 Mac OS X 10.13.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 12.1.2 Safari 12.1.2
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »
Actually I did pull that but found the design difficult to modify because of the format.  Working with it but slow going.  I may just use it as a reference and redraw it in fusion 360 format.

I came across that grabcad one also, and hacked together the following (see screenshot).  It was never intended to be accurate, but only a "representative visual mass" and so has a few holes...it is a difficult model to modify.  If you'd like me to post it here in STEP format, let me know, I'd be happy to do so.   If someone had some really good closeup photos of the modifications to the head area, I might could model those up and contribute it here to the forums, but its difficult scouring the internet for the right reference photos.

-Tom Kyler

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »
For those of you wondering, "why would this be hard if the engine is drawn out already?" Lets take a step back on make note of a lot of the items on Grab Cad or other similar sites that have such items posted.

Very often the item is posted as one complete unit (i.e.- the heads, jugs or case) is all one solid piece. Often these are called dumb solid, or sand solid, and I am sure there is many other types of names for this.  

Thus, if you want  separate head, or different colored Jug or case, one has to separate the parts (often not easy as stated) and turn them into separate parts, then create a new assembly from these. Again, this often takes a great deal of time.

And even worse, often we (designers) can dive into a provided "dumb solid" only to find out that it is not dimensional correct for some unexplained reason.  i.e. The case is 1" longer than what it really is in the real world.  This perhaps is the most difficult thing to correct. Very often not worth it, as changing one area effects so many other areas.  Sometimes these areas are more subtle but still wrong, such as angled motor mount location that is suppose to be parallel  to another, only to find out it is off 1-2 degrees.  Easier to fix but still takes time.

it is a whole new world, to take a incorrect drawing, and make it correct.

But sometimes perfection can be created.  ;) actually this is off slightly. 

cheers

Offline tkyler

• Browser:
  • Safari 12.1.2 Safari 12.1.2
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 12:22:35 PM »
That's really good looking work Scott.  My video card hurts just looking at it!

Offline kalazzerx

• Chris
  • Chris
  • Browser:
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 06:11:29 PM »
I came across that grabcad one also, and hacked together the following (see screenshot).  It was never intended to be accurate, but only a "representative visual mass" and so has a few holes...it is a difficult model to modify.  If you'd like me to post it here in STEP format, let me know, I'd be happy to do so.  If someone had some really good closeup photos of the modifications to the head area, I might could model those up and contribute it here to the forums, but its difficult scouring the internet for the right reference photos.

-Tom Kyler
I would love to have a copy of your step file - Fusion 360 does not usually have any issues with that.

BTW, for anyone that is interested I added a link in my buildlog to many of my CAD DFX files I have used for CNC and Laser cutting parts especially wing parts

http://buildlog.virtualmakerspace.com/build-intro-info/ - feel free to help your self.  :)

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 06:01:41 AM »
So over my head but really enjoying this thread!

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 08:03:32 AM »
So over my head but really enjoying this thread!
Pete, did you know you can down load for free, the student premium version of SolidWorks from the EAA website. Just by being a member of EAA.
Perhaps one of the greatest benie's of being a member.  By doing so, you quickly can gain knowledge about the many different formats of files being talked about here.  While it may take awhile to be proficient in any CAD program, it does not take long to understand the various file formats.
I have to warn all though- once you enter the world of CAD drawing, you will hardly ever look at a shape, no matter if it ranges from a chair to a aircraft, the same again. If not from the redesign aspect, from the actual "how it was made" side of things.

I am a teacher/educator at SolidWorks University at EAA and every year we get 40-50 folks each day started down this path at Airventure. It is a fun thing to see them create parts for the very first time.
A link that should get you in the right direction is 
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/solidworks-university

enjoy!
Scott

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2019, 08:32:14 AM »
Pete, did you know you can down load for free, the student premium version of SolidWorks from the EAA website. Just by being a member of EAA.
Perhaps one of the greatest benie's of being a member.  By doing so, you quickly can gain knowledge about the many different formats of files being talked about here.  While it may take awhile to be proficient in any CAD program, it does not take long to understand the various file formats.
I have to warn all though- once you enter the world of CAD drawing, you will hardly ever look at a shape, no matter if it ranges from a chair to a aircraft, the same again. If not from the redesign aspect, from the actual "how it was made" side of things.

I am a teacher/educator at SolidWorks University at EAA and every year we get 40-50 folks each day started down this path at Airventure. It is a fun thing to see them create parts for the very first time.
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/solidworks-university

enjoy!
Scott
Perhaps one of the greatest benie's of being a member.  By doing so, you quickly can gain knowledge about the many different formats of files being talked about here.  While it may take awhile to be proficient in any CAD program, it does not take long to understand the various file formats.

enjoy!
Scott
Awesome! I've been an EAA member for many years. Thanks for the link!

Offline tkyler

• Browser:
  • Safari 13.0.1 Safari 13.0.1
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2019, 01:34:46 PM »
I would love to have a copy of your step file - Fusion 360 does not usually have any issues with that.

See link below. Please Let me know when you have it, so that I can remove it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kseso290cejf9s/HalfVW3D_Model.stp?dl=0

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal