Author Topic: Landing gear geometry  (Read 1171 times)

Offline scottiniowa

Re: Landing gear geometry
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 05:04:11 AM »
one more view of my lower end adaption of shock struts
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline Bob Wood

• XL completed 2015
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »
I avoided all this extra work and weight by using 8 lbs of airpressure in the larger lawn tractor tires. I fly off of bumpy grass and it works great. I have no spring struts, the tires do it all. Took 5 lbs off the plane, even with heavier tires.

Offline scottiniowa

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 10:23:21 AM »
I avoided all this extra work and weight by using 8 lbs of airpressure in the larger lawn tractor tires. I fly off of bumpy grass and it works great. I have no spring struts, the tires do it all. Took 5 lbs off the plane, even with heavier tires.
A perfect, "simple is almost always better solution" 

The Super Breezy did exactly that... with tires alone. https://www.yakimaaerosport.com/aircraft/super-breezy/   Our options today for good, yet light tires,  as well as larger,  is far better than just 10 years ago.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline jrbirdman47

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 11:10:13 AM »
Bob, are you using the Black Max wheels and brakes? I like the idea of less work/ weight.

Offline Bob Wood

• XL completed 2015
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 07:26:12 AM »
Yes, black max and the Turf saver ll tires. the 16''. We have a really rough paved runway which I only use to get out to the grass side runways. I wore out those lightweight stock small tires in one summer....The turfsaverll are great. Have enough beef to wear well. So now they are getting lighter with every flight!!

Keep it simple and light!! My 37 HP jumps off and climbs great. I made the weight limit with light paint and NICO cyl , and any other  thing I could SAFELY get rid of (struts for example)

Have fun
Bob