How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Engine Mount  (Read 2496 times)

Offline 914pete

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 76.0 Firefox 76.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
Engine Mount
« on: May 20, 2020, 06:21:12 AM »
Question, my engine is set up for a bed mount so there are going to be rubber engine mounts at those attach points. Are there also rubber mounts for where the engine mount attaches to fuselage? Now that I know I have a running engine I want to start thinking about engineering an engine mount.

Offline kalazzerx

• Chris
  • Chris
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 81.0.4044.138 Chrome 81.0.4044.138
    • buildlog.virtualmakerspace.com
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
Re: Engine Mount
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
Everywhere I have seen, you are either one or the other and if you are using a bed mount you would not have rear mounts too.  Usually, the engine configuration dictates what you are using. Most Rotax engines are configured for bed mounts, while 1/2 VW's and the Verner's are typically rear mounted.

Offline jrbirdman47

• Donor 2024
  • Builder
  • Mac OS X 10.12.6 Mac OS X 10.12.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 12.1.2 Safari 12.1.2
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 05:36:45 PM »
Agree. This is the only one I ever got a picture of:

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 08:14:26 AM »
I was thinking one or the other as well. Thanks for the pic jrbirdman. I'd love to get some design ideas. Does anyone else have pics of bed mounts? It doesn't necessarily have to be on a LE.

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »
Also, any engineers on here that could weigh in on building an engine mount from 2024 aluminum? Wondering if that would save some weight. (plus it would let me practice with my new TIG welder)

Offline kalazzerx

• Chris
  • Chris
  • Browser:
    • buildlog.virtualmakerspace.com
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
you cannot weld 2024 aluminum (normally anyway) so if you were making it out of that would have to bolt it together.  I think I would just go with 6061T6

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 04:02:06 PM »
Also, any engineers on here that could weigh in on building an engine mount from 2024 aluminum? Wondering if that would save some weight. (plus it would let me practice with my new TIG welder)
as previously stated, you CAN NOT weld 2024 T3, it will just crumble away, or slump, or NOT be right... there are a few things in life that perhaps should not be changed... this is one of them.  Another way to look at this, Look at what all the others have done before, and go with it.  There is no better practice than welding up a 4" block of metal of 6 different thicknesses.  starting with .032 and up .125 or a bit more.  When the entire block is covered with weld bead, and you have experienced the "zen of welding" (google it) by my friend Budd D, then you have done some serious practice. And it will be worth every minute of it.  Everyone I have taught, have had to do it.  Those that refused or did not want to do,  really were not that serious about learning the power you have over the puddle.
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 06:57:04 AM »
as previously stated, you CAN NOT weld 2024 T3, it will just crumble away, or slump, or NOT be right... there are a few things in life that perhaps should not be changed... this is one of them.  Another way to look at this, Look at what all the others have done before, and go with it.  There is no better practice than welding up a 4" block of metal of 6 different thicknesses.  starting with .032 and up .125 or a bit more.  When the entire block is covered with weld bead, and you have experienced the "zen of welding" (google it) by my friend Budd D, then you have done some serious practice. And it will be worth every minute of it.  Everyone I have taught, have had to do it.  Those that refused or did not want to do,  really were not that serious about learning the power you have over the puddle.
Hi Scott, I always appreciate your input. I have read The Zen of Welding. I love welding. I wish I had time to do it everyday. I have been practicing with my tig welder for four months now running beads, different thickness material, some of the aluminum scrap I pulled from dumpsters and therefore had no idea what type of aluminum it was. All I've been doing is practicing with aluminum. Even though I finished my XL fuselage last year with my O/A rig which I practiced with for months prior to starting the fuselage, I still practice prior to welding anything else on it and have been practicing welding steel with my tig as well even though I bought it specifically for aluminum. Even when I use my more familiar mig welder which I've been using for 25 years, I still run a few beads on like steel for practice prior to working on the finish piece. Since I only get to weld something once or twice a month, not just on my plane, I always practice prior to working on the actual project. This is not about lack of practicing. I looked at the strength of 2024 and what I read didn't touch on the weldability. Thanks for the feedback, now I know it's not a viable material. I was really just wondering about the feasibility of using aluminum. And if there's one thing I've learned working on this first plane project and following this forum and seeing 6-7 LE's up close at Airventure, I have yet to see two LE's that are exactly the same which I personally think is really cool. I love to see the creativity using different materials and ingenious ideas individual builders come up with. Yes, I have a new tig machine and am eager to use it on a real aluminum project. I haven't seen an aluminum engine mount yet for a cut case 1/2vw on a LE. It doesn't mean it hasn't been done. I was just wondering if it has been tried and deemed not viable. My initial thought is it would be strong and lighter. The other thing I've learned from this forum regarding the LEXL is that every oz counts. 6061T6 is clearly a better option. If I go this route I will post my findings.

Offline 914pete

• Browser:
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 06:58:50 AM »
you cannot weld 2024 aluminum (normally anyway) so if you were making it out of that would have to bolt it together.  I think I would just go with 6061T6
Thanks for the feedback! I read how strong 2024 was. It didn't mention not being weldable. (I didn't research it enough)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal