How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: spar web plywood  (Read 9524 times)

Offline Workshoprat

spar web plywood
« on: March 02, 2014, 06:43:18 AM »
I know this subject has probably been discussed a thousand times but I find myself needing to ask it one more time.  On the 1/8" ply for the spar web do I want the 90 deg or the 45 deg?  Is the birch/poplar what I want.  I think this is what I am looking at from acft spruce.  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/domplywood2.php.  Is this what I need?

I ask cause I have shifted gears and started the wing build.  thinking of ordering my wood to be picked up at Oshkosh.  should save on shipping that way.
Your imagination is limited only by the size of your tooling

Offline rockiedog2

Re: spar web plywood
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »
I use the imported metric birch ply due less $. believe it's 3mm for 1/8 check me on that. 90 degree is fine. i've always put the grain horizontal. that's what Leonard says do. others say different.

Offline Workshoprat

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »
Hey Joe thanks for the reply.  I don't know if I am looking at the right thing or not on the metric stuff but when I look at it,  It shows that it only comes in 4x4 and not 8 foot full sheets.  What size sheets were you getting?

I am not opposed to metric stock.  I made a field box once for my RC stuff with metric stock cause it was much cheaper than domestic.  By the time it was over I had about pulled my hair out LOL.  I guess it would have helped if I had gotten a metric tape measure and avoided all the conversion math as it just wasen't quite 1/4" or .250 LOL

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »
i've always bought the 2x4 sheets if that will fit the job with acceptable waste. never have bought bigger than 4x4

snowin sideways here. this is sposed to be the Deep South

Offline Workshoprat

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
My way of thinking was to get a 4x8 foot sheet then I would only have one splice in the spar web. How many splices are used with a 2x4 sheet?  Am I off in my thinking?

Thanks

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »
My way of thinking was to get a 4x8 foot sheet then I would only have one splice in the spar web. How many splices are used with a 2x4 sheet?  Am I off in my thinking?

Thanks
Two for an LE wing, three for an XL or DE. Splices are not a problem, easy to locate them at a rib station so the intercostals can tie the splice together. I used 2x4 sheets so they could be shipped via ground UPS instead of high $$$ truck freight.

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »
>>>could be shipped via ground UPS instead of high $$$ truck freight.

thats right thats right. 2x4s...

workshoprat lookin at your avatar it looks like you might be on somethin. uppers maybe? try workin in a few downers for balance

Offline Workshoprat

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 04:32:50 AM »
Just high on life man LOL.  Hey I'm building an airplane so I got good reason to be on an upper LOL.

On the shipping for the plywood that is why I was thinking of picking up at Oshkosh.  I think if you pick it up there they do not charge you shipping.  I may be wrong on that but that is what I remember.  If I can get it with no shipping charge then I do not see any reason to not get the 8 foot sheet and have only one splice.

Are you guys doing a scarf joint at the splice?

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 06:01:37 AM »

Are you guys doing a scarf joint at the splice?
I didn't.

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 06:18:14 AM »
butt joint with about a 1.5" stick backing it
2 2x4 sheets did the web on this short wing one. 3 should do the DE?
i take it back on what I used...went and looked it up. it was wicks part number 1/8(2x4)B90. that's birch/poplar 90 degree. i used the metric for the 1/4 and of course the .8mm for the leading edge

Offline Workshoprat

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
Well I do appreciate the replies.  I think now I am armed with good info to make a decision.

Jeremy

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
I too did not scarf one single joint. Built as per plans!
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

Offline Richfroh

• Rich Frohmiller
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 5.1 Safari 5.1
  • Eagle Type: Cabin Eagle
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »
I used 4' x 8' cut lengthwise per Leonard's recommendation and had one splice that is not scarfed. Leonard said it was not necessary so I did not do it. My boss was picking some things up from near Aircraft Spruce with his trailer, so he picked up my plywood and saved me the shipping costs.
Rich Frohmiller

Offline Bob S.

• 2016 Donor
  • ! FLYING !
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
  • Eagle Type: LE #64H
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »
Nice Boss!
Bob Severance
LE Plans #64H
E038RS

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal