How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Fabric question  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Cessna4542c

• Larry
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 10.0 Safari 10.0
Fabric question
« on: December 16, 2016, 03:22:42 PM »
Going to cover the tail feathers soon and was wondering what builders are using?

Offline XL-C-100

• Nate
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 9.0 Safari 9.0
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
Re: Fabric question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:19:30 PM »
I used 3m fastbond adhesive with uncertified light fabric from aircraft spruce. Then I used 2 coats of latex primer followed by 2 coats of latex paint. I also applied with a foam roller and wet sanded between coats, it gave a finish I am very happy with no fumes or overspray to deal with. Very inexpensive :)

Offline Darren C

• Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0
  • Eagle Type: LE-U-04/XL-E-94
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 05:47:41 PM »
I am using Oratex.  http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/

Comes in various colors. Is very lightweight, strong and no need to paint. 
Like their ad says - Glue it, shrink it, fly.  It really is that straight forward making it a relative quick job.
For all the positives, it is not inexpensive but for me is worth the added cost.

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:42:38 PM »
I am using Oratex.  http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/

Comes in various colors. Is very lightweight, strong and no need to paint.  
Like their ad says - Glue it, shrink it, fly.  It really is that straight forward making it a relative quick job.
For all the positives, it is not inexpensive but for me is worth the added cost.

Darren, I like the Oratex.  It was at Airventure unfortunately, I didn't get top try it though.   I cannot find pricing listed on their website which leads me to believe its expensive.  What is the cost to cover the XL wings and empennage?

Offline Darren C

• Windows NT 6.3 Windows NT 6.3
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: LE-U-04/XL-E-94
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 11:29:28 PM »
It is expensive but I was happy to pay for the convenience of not having to paint and the time savings to be had as it is so straight forward. 
Came to about US$2,300 as we don't have an agent in Australia so it was shipped and all applicable taxes paid on arrival here.  I got every tool and brush, pads, tapes and heat gun & iron so it was certainly more than if I had just purchased the fabric and Hotmelt glue.

Happy building  :)

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal