How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Virtual Build Details  (Read 2029 times)

Offline tkyler

• Mac OS X 10.13.6 Mac OS X 10.13.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 12.1.2 Safari 12.1.2
Virtual Build Details
« on: September 13, 2019, 03:50:59 PM »
I'm doing a virtual build in 3D prior to starting the real build....its quicker, easier (and probably cheaper) for me to figure out all the part relationships and assembly sequence before hitting the shop.  The two screenshots below are a combination of 1) how I interpret the aileron hinge assembly design details from Leonard's drawings and 2) some slight alterations based on my woodworking and engineering experience. 

My question is for those who have experience building this detail....does this configuration / design pass the sniff test in the sense... "yea, that should work fine"...or is there anything that I might not have thought about which may cause me some grief I have yet to identify?   I have moved some parts around in space so its easier to visualize the details.   I appreciate any feedback.

-TomK

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 69.0 Firefox 69.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
Re: Virtual Build Details
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »
I  might comment if you build as i i see the details provided weight will be increased over original. There is very little room to add weight and any added weight needs to be offset elsewhere.
Les Homan

Offline okawbow

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 11.0 Safari 11.0
    • Black Rhino Bow Co.
  • Eagle Type: LE XL
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 06:17:10 PM »
Looks great to me! I’m looking forward to seeing more. Just starting to gather materials for an XL.

Chuck

Offline tkyler

• Mac OS X 10.13.6 Mac OS X 10.13.6
  • Browser:
  • Safari 12.1.2 Safari 12.1.2
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »
thx for the response Les.  Which piece/s do you see as adding weight?  All the pieces are per Leonard's LE plans (p34B) as I interpret them....though some lightening holes in the 1/4" reinforcing shear plate are probably warranted.

-TomK

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal