How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Material on the way  (Read 7181 times)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Material on the way
« on: January 22, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »
I finally placed the order for 4130 tubing to build the fuselage on my XL. Was able to get 24 foot random lengths delivered at a good price.  Now to get the tables built while I'm waiting for the tubing to get here.
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Kenny

• plans: LE, LEXL, DE
  • Eagle Type: LE, LEXL, DE
Re: Material on the way
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
Who did you end up purchasing from and what is a "good buy"?

Kenny in Florida
Kenny in Florida

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:29:08 PM »
TW Metals. It was about the same price as ACS and less than Wicks plus I was able to get full random lengths of German tubing. The material shipped out of Atlanta.

Offline grdev

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »
I bought all the tubing on the XL material list from Wicks for 400.00. 31 dollar sales tax as I'm picking it up tomorrow.  I will have mostly 15' lengths.

Offline grdev

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 06:10:21 PM »
Picked up my 4130 yesterday at Wicks. It rained. Snowed, sleeted and hailed on the way there.  Clear skies on the way home. I was impressed with how clean the tubing was, but shocked on how small the bundle was for over 400 bucks!
Will finish my ribs early this week, only three more to go then I'll start on my fuselage. Will post photos towards end of week.

65 here in Missouri today, down to 9 this evening. Spent the after noon at the airport. I was told there was legislation introduced by several congressmen to do away with the third class medicals8)  for most GA pilots. Can fly planes up to 14000 feet 250 knots, six passengers up to 6000 pounds.  I looked it up and it is true. You may want to call your congress person and have them help with the bill.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »
My material came in this morning on ABF freight in perfect condition and inside a cardboard tube. I looked kind of funny going down the road with a 24 foot tube hanging on the side of the truck. Now to finish the table!

Offline grdev

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »
I had mine cut in 15' lengths and it fit nicely on top of the truck.  Just ran a strap under the back doors, crew cab, and tied it off the front and rear bumpers. The wind did whip it around a little as we had 50 MPH gust. Cost me 45 dollars for fuel, shipping was 200 so I saved a little.

Offline longez911

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:39:15 AM »
I have to say that it costs a lot more but... The Cartesian fuselage kit for the eagle and the XL is great when it come to fitting and welding plus everything is there. It depends on  how much time you want to spend on coping tubing.  I  am the first one to get the XL kit back in September  there were a few issues but Don corrected them right away.  I would say you could have a complete fuselage  done within a couple weeks. Very impressive kit !
 Craig Gearhart

Offline grdev

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
so what is the cost of the kit? looked impressive.

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »
I looked at that Cartesan website. Man the fit on those tubes in the gallery is perfect.
I guess that's ok...I always liked a little slop in my joints maybe as much as 1/8" thinking the tubes are gonna grow under the acetylene torch and maybe build in more stress. But that's just my idea of it I don't know if that's technically correct or not. Doesn't matter...I'm gonna keep doing it.
My Legal Eagle fuse was tacked and off the jig table and on the saw horses for finish welding in 2 weeks of part time work. Easiest most enjoyable part of the project for me.
Have fun

Offline grdev

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
only worked a couple of weeks on mine, including building the work benches. It was fun, but my joints sure didn't look like those.  I had minimal twist and bends, my plumb bob is with in a 1/16" from station one to the tail post.

Speaking of material does anyone have any 7/8" x.058 they would sell? Need some for my hinges.

Offline longez911

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »
The fuselage kit was $1500 I know its a lot but I would do it again in a heartbeat. It doesn't come with the flat parts but it does come with the hinge material and the square tube for the wing attach area. plus all the gear tubing for the spring style struts, it also has the four tubes for the engine mounts.

Offline grdev

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 10:01:03 AM »
Seems like a fair price for the quality it appears to have. It is always nice to have options.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal