How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Nicopress sleeves on tail rigging  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Mark Kramer

• Mac OS X 10.15 Mac OS X 10.15
  • Browser:
  • Safari 13.0.1 Safari 13.0.1
Nicopress sleeves on tail rigging
« on: November 09, 2019, 05:11:44 AM »
Hi fellow builders,
Does anyone have an opinion on whether one sleeve is enough on the tail wires, or should there be two. And would it be the same for the control cables? Is leaving some cable extending out then covering with heat shrink the preferred method?
Thanks

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 70.0 Firefox 70.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
Re: Nicopress sleeves on tail rigging
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:26:32 PM »
One sleeve will hold the breaking strength of the cable if you crimp it right.  That means measuring each and every crimp with either a caliper micrometer or go -no go gauge.

Some prefer to tape the end of the cable temporarily to keep it from fraying while making up the termination.

All things on oval swages: https://www.kitplanes.com/the-big-squeeze/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Mark Kramer

• Browser:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 05:09:29 AM »
Hi Dan,
Thank you so much for the feedback. Good information. I did read the Kitplanes article ,also full of good information. I happen to have one of those two bar crimpers, but don’t think they liked that one too much. The cheap big box store ones didn’t rate too high either, although if the crimp checks out Ok with a gauge I guess it’s fine. Haven’t been able to locate one to borrow, so the cheap one from HD it will have to be. Hope it comes with a gauge, as I can’t find a list with dimensions to work from with the vernier caliper. Do you happen to know what a sleeve for 3/32 cable would measure if properly crimped? Im using 3/32 wire on my tail feathers.
Thanks again
Mark

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 70.0 Firefox 70.0
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 06:19:21 AM »
Snagged off another forum...  I would check to be certain however.  The info is in chapter 7 starting on page 28.

The Nicopress tool worked great, but I wasn't the only one in line to borrow them, so I looked around for a pair of my own. There are several different types of nicopress tools... the type that are capable of 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", etc. are not cheap. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 was not unusual, even for a used set. So I chose to try the $28 type that Home Depot sells. These are typically used for making dog runs and leads, or for fencing, but I know of others that have used these, and if properly adjusted and monitored I don't see how the end result is any different than the more expensive tools. The authentic Nicopress tool was longer (more leverage when crimping) and the finish and operation were a bit smoother, but otherwise either tool is capable of putting the squeeze on copper sleeves.

Prior to making my test crimps, I referred to some information I found on the Pietenpol forums.

Size - Range (Chris Bopka posted as found in EAA Aircraft Volume One File Number 6 on Aircraft Homebuilding Tips, page 34)

1/16" sleeve - .190-.195" go dimension
 3/32" sleeve - .255-.265" go dimension
 1/8" sleeve - .343-.353" go dimension
 5/32" sleeve - .380-.390" go dimension

Using the Home Depot tool straight off the shelf, my first crimp on a 1/8" cable/sleeve combo was .318" (way too tight). After a minor adjustment, my second crimp was .355" (slightly too big). Another adjustment and I was able to squeeze a .345" crimp. I grabbed another sleeve and proceeded to squeeze 3 more crimps right around .345" (+/- .0005") as measured with my calipers. In other words, plenty good and on par with the more expensive tool.

Hope this helps!

Mark Chouinard
 Chapter 10 - Tulsa, Oklahoma

Pietenpol Air Camper

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline Mark Kramer

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 06:47:47 AM »
Dan,
Yep, also found some info on page 5 of this forum. Gonna try the cheap HD crimper, will keep an eye on the finished crimps.
Thanks again
Mark

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal