How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Bushing Stock  (Read 3643 times)

Offline rgc

• Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 80.0.3987.149 Chrome 80.0.3987.149
  • Eagle Type: Double Eagle
Bushing Stock
« on: March 20, 2020, 07:00:00 PM »
Howdy, I have searched the forums on "bushing stock", scoured metal supply, searched aircraft supply, etc., and cannot find 3/8" Bushing Stock referenced on Page 23 of Double Eagle Plans.  Aircraft Spruce is nearest with 1015/1020 3/8" OD, 1/4" ID, and .065 wall.  But the 1/4" is too big for the 3/16 bolts that will go through the hinge (note to ream to 3/16").  I have thought about 4130 chromoly tubing that is 3/8" OD & .095 wall.  The ID is then .185 which can be drilled to .185 or 3/16".  But, I cannot seem to tell 1015/1020 and 4130 are "interchangeable".  What did any of you guys use?  And, please, where did you find it??  Any assistance is appreciated.

rgc
rgc

Offline rgc

• Browser:
Re: Bushing Stock
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 07:13:04 PM »
Sorry, meant to type "which can be drilled to .1875 or 3/16", hopefully my math is correct.....
rgc

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
    • Display of helpful hits and tricks
  • Eagle Type: Legal E- XL
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 12:46:04 PM »
Howdy, I have searched the forums on "bushing stock", scoured metal supply, searched aircraft supply, etc., and cannot find 3/8" Bushing Stock referenced on Page 23 of Double Eagle Plans.  Aircraft Spruce is nearest with 1015/1020 3/8" OD, 1/4" ID, and .065 wall.  But the 1/4" is too big for the 3/16 bolts that will go through the hinge (note to ream to 3/16").  I have thought about 4130 chromoly tubing that is 3/8" OD & .095 wall.  The ID is then .185 which can be drilled to .185 or 3/16".  But, I cannot seem to tell 1015/1020 and 4130 are "interchangeable".  What did any of you guys use?  And, please, where did you find it??  Any assistance is appreciated.

rgc
4130N is far better/tougher than 1010 or 1020, so you won't have any problems there. Most bushing stock is in 1/8" wall increments,  so a touch of calculations should get you to a point/piece that you can drill out.  

I don't know where you live, but any welding shop, Fastenal, even supply houses can get you these, if they are not on hand.
McMasterCarr for sure.
MSC for sure

Google is your friend here.  I didn't look up exactly what hinge you were referring to, but we have made for years out of the right combinations of 4130 to fit the bill  

If  you still don't have any luck, PM me, I would be surprised if I didn't have what you want on my rack.  But you should be able to find locally.

cheers
Scott
best email address:  irondesignairparts@gmail.com

Offline rgc

• Browser:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 06:53:16 AM »
Scott, thank you!

That tid bit very much helps.  I had looked all over but when it comes to the this fabrication stuff I really didn't know exactly what to plug in the search window.  To Leonard's direction "if a plane calls for new skills you don't have this is a good chance for you to learn them" ..... I think that now applies to my internet search skills too, lol...

I did happen upon McMaster a few days after posting.  But, I wasn't aware of Fastenal.  And, there are a few near me I'll try.  

And, most important, thanks, I suspected that 4130 would be good for "bushing stock" as per Leonard's plans, but I had just never heard that term before and didn't really understand what that term meant.  In fact on the plans it just says just "Bushing" which I didn't understand.  When I got on Aircraft Spruce and searched bushing, I got the "Bushing Stock" as noted previously which is where I wound up with the 1015/1020 type of metal.   I think I was chasing my tail .... 

rgc
rgc

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 07:36:04 AM »

And, most important, thanks, I suspected that 4130 would be good for "bushing stock" as per Leonard's plans, but I had just never heard that term before and didn't really understand what that term meant.  In fact on the plans it just says just "Bushing" which I didn't understand.  When I got on Aircraft Spruce and searched bushing, I got the "Bushing Stock" as noted previously which is where I wound up with the 1015/1020 type of metal.  I think I was chasing my tail ....

rgc
I just want to be clear, I am not saying that "bushing stock" means that this needs to be 4130N, I was saying that if you have such material, it would work well/fine.  If plans call for 1015/1020 type, then that would be "good enough" and far cheaper. 

I just don't want everyone thinking, "scott says you have to use 4130N, for bushing stock" I simply said it would work. Often in the world of light aircraft building, good enough is good enough, and lower cost to boot.  Nearly all aircraft plans have call outs on, "what will work"  a google search will detail the "differences in materials" if in question.

A prime example is "stainless steel"  There is a huge difference from one type to the next... 
Best of success. 
Scott

Offline rgc

• Browser:
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 06:55:51 AM »
Apologies ... didn't mean to alarm anyone. 

In some of my research I managed to find, though I don't recall where, the attached drawing on a cub replica (see hinge detail at lower left of drawing).  That drawing did show 4130 to be used as hinge material and therefore I was starting down that path.

The problem for me is / was that the Double Eagle drawing just said bushing with no reference to any type of metal, just "bushing".  I just didn't know what that meant.  And, in going straight to Aircraft Spruce for the first search, that is where I saw the 1015/1020 reference.  The mystery began there. 

Now that I see a production aircraft used 4130 for hinges, makes my believe that Leonard was thinking the same.  Regardless, if the right choice for certified it seems to be a good call for Experimental in this specific instance.
rgc

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »
Apologies ... didn't mean to alarm anyone. 

In some of my research I managed to find, though I don't recall where, the attached drawing on a cub replica (see hinge detail at lower left of drawing).  That drawing did show 4130 to be used as hinge material and therefore I was starting down that path.

The problem for me is / was that the Double Eagle drawing just said bushing with no reference to any type of metal, just "bushing".  I just didn't know what that meant.  And, in going straight to Aircraft Spruce for the first search, that is where I saw the 1015/1020 reference.  The mystery began there. 

Now that I see a production aircraft used 4130 for hinges, makes my believe that Leonard was thinking the same.  Regardless, if the right choice for certified it seems to be a good call for Experimental in this specific instance.
Rgc, questions are always good.  I will add to this, just based on my building..  

If there are parts on plans (steel) that are not clear, or that don't have any kind of call out. It is perhaps best to get the "answer" from the plans designer or producer (often the same)  If this does not come forth, you could hardly ever go wrong with using 4130N for these stock items.  But getting back to what I referenced before, if it is not needed, then certainly cost would be less with the so called regular steel. 

You did put "production aircraft" and our "experimental s" in the same category.  Comparisons are generally not that easy to make between the two, and that can be carried further with about 6 ways to do anything. i.e.  fabric, alum skins, 5 different ways for landing gears, T tails, low H stabs, and the list goes on, yes even on hinges... So if really in doubt, going to the source is almost always the best way to get the answer.

Offline scottiniowa

• Scott-In-Iowa
  • Browser:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 07:30:01 PM »
just 1/3 of a hinge but you get the idea

Offline Flyguyeddy

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 04:47:33 PM »
Scott
Is it acceptable to cut the hinge like that and rivet it on to the spar tube?   Would considerably decrease my time messing with opening up that part on mine to make the spar tube fit into them

Offline Flyguyeddy

• Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 0.8.2 Safari 0.8.2
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »
I just realized what subforum i was posting to. Nevermind!

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal