How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Landing gear weight  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
Landing gear weight
« on: February 27, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »
Does anyone know how much the landing gear parts weight not counting the axles and wheels. What I'm looking for is the weight of all the tubing and springs.. I searched but didn't come up with anything. Thanks
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
Re: Landing gear weight
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »
Look here and see what weighs 15 lbs on a LE: http://www.angoraaffaire.com/leu/id48.htm 

The wheels with axles weigh 10 lbs...

Murray Randall has posted here in Off topics - what he is doing with a different way of snubbing the system with all up weight...

Sam Buchanan has written  here extensively about the gear - use a Forum Search on Sams' name and gear to see related discussion...

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 07:34:33 AM »
Thanks Steve.  there is a fellow on the Lonesome Buzzards that sells a fiberglass gear that weighs 11 lbs. I was afraid it would have been much heavier.

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »
My LEU gear weighs 8.5#. thats complete with axles, shock struts, springs, cabane vee and hardware. This particular gear is extended 2" from plans and the tube sizes are upgraded to 3/4 on one leg and 7/8 on the other(repair). That may be pretty close to the XL weight. Best I can do.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
    • Jim's airplanes
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 04:00:50 PM »
I thought 15 lbs sounded heavy especially without axles. Maybe I better just stick with th plans.

Offline rockiedog2

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 05:07:25 AM »
i don't think you will find a lighter gear than plans w/o going to some exotic material. the CF gear on mine now weighs same as the tube gear but is fanatically designed/installed. zero fat.
plans gear is the proper and correct gear IMO

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal