How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: LANDING GEAR ATTACH POINTS  (Read 7641 times)

Offline Rich Snyder

• Mac OS X 10.9.2 Mac OS X 10.9.2
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0.3 Safari 7.0.3
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle XL
LANDING GEAR ATTACH POINTS
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:04:22 PM »
Today I welded my gear-wing fittings onto the fuse. The next step that I had planned, was to start fabricating my landing gear. After staring at the plans for a LONG time and reading Leonard's instructions and looking at a lot of pictures; I still can not wrap my head around the fitting/weldment between tubes at the gear-wing fittings. I was standing in my shop, holding a 3/8"bushing tube against a 3/4"x .049 tube, as is shown on page 23 of my XL plans. Cartoon question marks were circling my head. How do you do that weld. What am I missing. Same for the rear leg. 5/8" to 3/8" tube does not compute.
Also; at the bottom of the same page, it says to center the axle with the wing's leading edge with the plane level. OK no problem, except that it goes on to say "OR 6" FORWARD. Does that mean the axle center should be even with the leading edge, OR 6" forward, OR does it mean that that is the acceptable RANGE of measurement? Don't mean to be an arse, (as Joe would now say), but I just want to get it right the first time. Thanks, Rich.

Offline Rich Snyder

• Browser:
Re: LANDING GEAR ATTACH POINTS
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:36:04 PM »
Would someone please look at the drawing on page 23 of the LE XL plans? Top right of page. I am still not sure what goes on here. Is the bushing just welded to the gear legs as shown? I see on page 26 that the gear leg is shown as a hidden line drawing  as if the gear leg was drilled for the bushing. That makes more sense to me. Then on page 22 on the left side, there is a drawing of the fitting with what looks like a strap welded around the end of the gear leg. Which way do I go guys? Wanna keep on building....advice please. Rich.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
Would someone please look at the drawing on page 23 of the LE XL plans? Top right of page. I am still not sure what goes on here. Is the bushing just welded to the gear legs as shown? I see on page 26 that the gear leg is shown as a hidden line drawing  as if the gear leg was drilled for the bushing. That makes more sense to me. Then on page 22 on the left side, there is a drawing of the fitting with what looks like a strap welded around the end of the gear leg. Which way do I go guys? Wanna keep on building....advice please. Rich.
 Fishmouth and contour the ends of the gear leg as necessary to get a good fit with the bushing. Weld the bushing to the end of the tube then reinforce it with a strap.

Offline leshoman

• Beta testers
  • Les Homan
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
  • Eagle Type: LEU and LEXL
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »
The load on it is in compression.  May not need strap. I drilled a 3/8" hole in gear and just welded in bushing then cut gear off at top of bushing
Les Homan

Offline Rich Snyder

• Browser:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
Thank you Sam and Les. Your support and ideas gives me the push to keep on building. Your time is appreciated. Rich.

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:04:53 PM »
The load on it is in compression.  May not need strap. I drilled a 3/8" hole in gear and just welded in bushing then cut gear off at top of bushing
Hmmmm....wouldn't the forward leg be subject to tension if/when the wheel drops into a hole or under braking? Anytime the plane is undergoing rapid deceleration?

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:49 AM »
I compressed the ends of the gear legs until they took on an oval shape a little wider than the bushing. this meant less weld to fill in around the gear and bushing. I then welded a strap around the bushing.
I think you will find the gear leg will see loads from every direction in actual use.

Offline Rich Snyder

• Browser:
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:34:55 AM »
OK;  this is great help. After all the comments, I am thinking I will take care of loads in either direction by putting a sleeve on the tube end for a bit more meat and drill a hole as per the shock strut plan on page 23. Thanks guys! Rich.

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 12:07:24 PM »
I  sleeved all my tubes like that, plus  strap, on my DE, not a bad idea. My DE did come in a little heavy, that is why I haven't done that on my XL. Put a couple of rosette welds in your inserts after you have drilled your holes. That 4130 can get down right hard once it is welded.;D

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal