How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: wing root aluminum fittings  (Read 8649 times)

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Windows NT 6.2 Windows NT 6.2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
wing root aluminum fittings
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
when you attach your root end of the wing with the root end wing fittings the lower portion of the wing will end up being about 1 1/2" lower than the top longeron where your wing attach mounts are.  is there any reason you can't simply angle these fittings down too where the bottom of the wing is level with or slightly higher than the top longeron providing much needed head clearance for taller pilots? The Double Eagle has the root fittings at an angle so I don't see any reason why the XL can't have the same type of angle fittings as long as you still maintain your 2 degrees of incidence .

Offline maishathelion

• Noob
  • Mac OS X 10.8 Mac OS X 10.8
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 28.0 Firefox 28.0
Re: wing root aluminum fittings
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:35:31 PM »
As being new to the group i can't help but wonder why this type of question is not directed to the most qualified person {the designer}.I can only surmise that the designer has proven unresponsive in the past and you must seek help from others.A bit like the blind leading the blind.

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »
There are a lot of very qualified builders with many years of experience in this group. Next to Leonard, most likely the best source of information regarding the Eagle airplanes.
I post a question like this to the group as they my have had the same question or questions and have already worked through them. It also gives a heads up to builders that this is something they will have to deal with,, or the possibility I'm just wrong and someone will set me straight.
As for as talking to Leonard, this is the second design of his I have built. He has always talked to me on the phone or emailed me with answers to any questions I may have.  I almost always run my questions by the members here before I call or email Leonard.  Many times you will receive many different answers reflecting various views and I end up contacting Leonard, but most of the time I find my answers here. . The fact is I did email  this question last night to him, and I had planned to share his response with the group.  I had talked to him before about raising the cabanes to increase the head room. He gave me his blessing. I was not aware  at that time the location of the wing root fittings and they would lower the wing or I would have asked him.. I discovered it  yesterday while trying to locate my rear wing mount with the fitting coming straight off the spar the bottom of the wing would be lower that the top longeron. . I had already welded my front mount in place, or I would have just raised it.. Then it dawned on me why couldn't I make new longer root fittings and simply angle them down, would it have any adverse effects? Having built the Double Eagle and knowing the fittings came in at an angle instead of straight off the spar, I just wanted to check if anyone else change their wing root fitting as regard to the angle.
There are over two hundred member's in this group, I believe. If everyone called Leonard with ever question they have it would keep him pretty busy.
 :)

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:23:34 AM »
As being new to the group i can't help but wonder why this type of question is not directed to the most qualified person {the designer}.I can only surmise that the designer has proven unresponsive in the past and you must seek help from others.A bit like the blind leading the blind.
After you are more experienced with this group you will look back on your comments and wonder why you posted them.........

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 06:26:00 AM »
when you attach your root end of the wing with the root end wing fittings the lower portion of the wing will end up being about 1 1/2" lower than the top longeron where your wing attach mounts are.  is there any reason you can't simply angle these fittings down too where the bottom of the wing is level with or slightly higher than the top longeron providing much needed head clearance for taller pilots? The Double Eagle has the root fittings at an angle so I don't see any reason why the XL can't have the same type of angle fittings as long as you still maintain your 2 degrees of incidence .
Gil, if I was in your position (and I was) I would raise the fuse attach fittings so the bottom of the wing is level with the top longeron. This is how I built my XL because I ran out of headroom.

Notes from my build log:

"1/2" was added to the height of the fittings so the bottom of the wing would be even with the longeron. It seems I will be running pretty close on headroom and the extra space may be helpful."

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 06:32:53 AM »
Thanks Sam, that would probably be the simplest fix.

Offline maishathelion

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 10:52:45 AM »
As a computer illiterate  i can't seem to figure out how to respond to a response to my initial post.
such as my asking Why not ask the designer about a problem and then came Sam's  experienced response but i;m lost as to how to thank him directly or comment back to him?
Am i using the correct method with this note and don't realize it?

Offline Steve

• Steve Kiblinger
  • Staff
  • Flying
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
    • Legal Eagle serial #33
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle(LE)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
As a computer illiterate  i can't seem to figure out how to respond to a response to my initial post.
such as my asking Why not ask the designer about a problem and then came Sam's  experienced response but i;m lost as to how to thank him directly or comment back to him?
Lee:
The Screen print next shows & describes how a Reply can use the Quote feature in this Forum
:

Offline Dan_

• Staff
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Eagle Type: Legal Eagle
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
While we are on this...

You can elect to only quote part of a previous post... as above.  Highlight parts you don't want with mouse and hit delete key. 

There is rarely any need to quote the whole previous post, unless it is a very short post.

If anyone needs to be told how to highlight with mouse they should introduce themselves to google search  with "cut and paste" or "basic computer skills" as the search term...

This thread has multiple replies, so you can quote from any one of them as well by scrolling down the page and hit "quote"
A bit like the blind leading the blind.

It is always good practice to utilize the preview button before finally hitting "post"...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go...

Offline maishathelion

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:39:03 PM »
BY GOSH I AM TRAINABLE! Well! at least a little bit.Signed: Lee; king of the troglodytes
There are a lot of very qualified builders with many years of experience in this group. Next to Leonard, most likely the best source of information regarding the Eagle airplanes.
I post a question like this to the group as they my have had the same question or questions and have already worked through them. It also gives a heads up to builders that this is something they will have to deal with,, or the possibility I'm just wrong and someone will set me straight.
As for as talking to Leonard, this is the second design of his I have built. He has always talked to me on the phone or emailed me with answers to any questions I may have.  I almost always run my questions by the members here before I call or email Leonard.  Many times you will receive many different answers reflecting various views and I end up contacting Leonard, but most of the time I find my answers here. . The fact is I did email  this question last night to him, and I had planned to share his response with the group.  I had talked to him before about raising the cabanes to increase the head room. He gave me his blessing. I was not aware  at that time the location of the wing root fittings and they would lower the wing or I would have asked him.. I discovered it  yesterday while trying to locate my rear wing mount with the fitting coming straight off the spar the bottom of the wing would be lower that the top longeron. . I had already welded my front mount in place, or I would have just raised it.. Then it dawned on me why couldn't I make new longer root fittings and simply angle them down, would it have any adverse effects? Having built the Double Eagle and knowing the fittings came in at an angle instead of straight off the spar, I just wanted to check if anyone else change their wing root fitting as regard to the angle.
There are over two hundred member's in this group, I believe. If everyone called Leonard with ever question they have it would keep him pretty busy.
:)

Offline Sam Buchanan

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 02:45:16 PM »
While we are talking about wing root attachments, a builder recently asked me how I reinforced the fuse fittings. I didn't have photos of those fittings, but the other day while the root fairing was opened up for inspection I shot a few phone photos. They are not high quality but show the web that is welded to the cabanes and wraps around the top of the tee. Also visible is the triangular gusset tying the fittings to the top longeron. Hope this helps.

The third photo also shows one of the stiffeners on the upper root fairing that keeps it from oil-canning. The fairing is roof flashing from the aviation aisle of the local Lowe's. Weighs nearly nothing.

Offline Jlwright

• 2015 Donor
  • Building XL-D-25
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
    • Jim's airplanes
  • Eagle Type: XL-D-25
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
Thanks so much for the photos Sam.  This really helps us that haven't seen an Eagle up close .
It's a brutal struggle for the biscuit!
Building XL-D-25 Fuselage 90% done.   ribs done, spars 90% done.

Offline grdev

• Noob
  • Browser:
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 05:27:37 AM »
Just got word from the boss if you keep the angle of incidence at 2 degrees it will be OK to raise the wing.  I think Sam's modification is well worth the effort, even if your not a six footer. Head room is nice to have for many reasons. Now I'm looking for wind screen options, just something to keep bugs and most wind
at bay.
Be headed to Katy TX shortly for Granddaughters graduation, plan to stop by the old mans if he will see me.

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal