How to post, how to add pics, how to add an attachment, and how to share a YouTube video...

Author Topic: Latex Paint Update at Airventure  (Read 15211 times)

Offline mmorrison123

• Noob
  • Mac OS X 10.6.8 Mac OS X 10.6.8
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.37 Chrome 43.0.2357.37
    • My Home Page
  • Eagle Type: XL
Latex Paint Update at Airventure
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:26:59 PM »
I just got the schedule for the forums at Airventure and I will be presenting on Wednesday at 11:30 in Forum Bldg 1. This year I will try to share what I've learned on the Micro Mong project and discuss issues that others have encountered with spraying, rolling, brushing, sanding, polishing, and selecting paint. I hope to see some of you there so please stop in and say hi. I will also try to post the updated powerpoint on the wienerdogaero.com site.

Malcolm Morrison

Offline Bugsmasher

• 2014 Donor
  • Smashin' bugs southern style
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.135 Chrome 42.0.2311.135
Re: Latex Paint Update at Airventure
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »
Any news here with this? Had a bad time with latex...recovering fuselage.  Only can make remarks about my trip with it....just ordered more materials to recover.....others seem to get along well with it though.
They ask me what it's made of.....I tell them bed sheets and broomsticks seem to fly best....

Offline mmorrison123

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.46 Chrome 45.0.2454.46
    • My Home Page
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 06:15:44 PM »
Bugsmasher

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with latex paint. You are not the only one. I've been coaching a friend through the paint process and he's been struggling. Could you share details on how you applied the paint and what the issues were?

Thanks
Malcolm
www.wienerdogaero.com

Offline CHARLES DEBOER

• Pteradactyle
  • FLYING
  • Mac OS X 10.10.4 Mac OS X 10.10.4
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85 Chrome 45.0.2454.85
  • Eagle Type: XL #A67
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 10:25:18 PM »
I have had very good luck using Micro Mung's method.  Just thin glidden primmer with water or windshield washer -25% and apply with a foam brush.  Don't do a large area.  If you do your edges of the paint dry out.  Keep your painted edge wet and keep brushing with the tip of the foam brush.  Let a coat dry over night (12 hours)  and very, very lightly sand with 600 grit wet or dry sand paper.  Just enough to knock off any dust or foam specks from the brush.  If you see brush strokes you need to thin the paint out some more (not a lot).  After 4 cross coats primer apply 2 cross coats of exterior satin and sand with 1500 and 2000 grit.  Your finish will feel as smooth as a baby's butt.  You will almost see a reflection.  For even better finish follow with a buffer and auto polish. Not the kind with grit or cleaner in it (just paste wax).  I haven't done that yet but getting ready to try.

Offline Bugsmasher

• 2014 Donor
  • Smashin' bugs southern style
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.135 Chrome 42.0.2311.135
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 03:36:27 AM »
No problems on applying materials. It is only my project is weight critical for 103....and it had surpassed the limits on the test panel that was prepared with the fuse , at the same time, of which a 1 sq. ft. was cut and weighed against polyfiber product. The primer was rolled and tipped first. 24 hrs between coats.  Scotchbrite to nib dust...then a 3:1 spray coat.  2 coats of color followed and sprayed out nice. I had only about 50% blockage of light if that much. All brilliant white primer and color... using only dihydrogen monoxide as a reducer. Its that it was getting too heavy to be 100% light fast and I need the fabric to last as long as possible...
My UL polyfiber process is a brushed on coat of polybrush followed by 2 coats of polyspray after tapes. It is not quite 100% light fast...but is light weight. If exact weights are needed- I will dig the sample out of the trash....but you have to remember....was trying to get much lifetime as possible from fabric.....more paint=more weight.....
being light makes better use of any power for performance
They ask me what it's made of.....I tell them bed sheets and broomsticks seem to fly best....

Offline 914pete

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 47.0 Firefox 47.0
  • Eagle Type: LEXL
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »
I just got the schedule for the forums at Airventure and I will be presenting on Wednesday at 11:30 in Forum Bldg 1. This year I will try to share what I've learned on the Micro Mong project and discuss issues that others have encountered with spraying, rolling, brushing, sanding, polishing, and selecting paint. I hope to see some of you there so please stop in and say hi. I will also try to post the updated powerpoint on the wienerdogaero.com site.

Malcolm Morrison

Malcolm, I was fortunate enough to make it to Airventure for the first time this year.  I really enjoyed your forum.  I'm going to practice a little with this method and see how it comes out.  Thanks, Pete

Offline mmorrison123

• Noob
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 49.0.2623.112 Chrome 49.0.2623.112
    • My Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »
Pete, Glad you enjoyed the forum. It's always a good time. I had fun with the AeroCommander camper too.  If I can be of any further help with your project please let me know. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Malcolm
www.wienerdogaero.com

Offline mmorrison123

• Noob
  • Browser:
    • My Home Page
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »
I'm finally going to make it to Sun N Fun this year and will be presenting updates on the latex painting forum. Stop by if you're in the area.

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com

Offline weezer

• Browser:
  • Chrome 64.0.3282.140 Chrome 64.0.3282.140
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 04:51:32 AM »
Malcolm, I have just recently become a member of this group so I'm not completely up to date on this discussion. But, I was in a group years ago that discussed using Latex paint and it seems they had good results using a flat black as a UV blocker.  Anyway, if I make it to SNF I'll come to your forum.
Bob

Offline mmorrison123

• Noob
  • Browser:
    • My Home Page
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »
Here's a link to a great bit of research by Kirk Huizenga on UV and Latex paint. It seems that white does a slightly better job than black, but any exterior latex color should work just fine.

Malcolm Morrison
www.wienerdogaero.com

Offline chache

• old codger
  • Linux (Ubuntu) Linux (Ubuntu)
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 64.0 Firefox 64.0
  • Eagle Type: all
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 01:19:10 PM »
mmorrison123
The text on the page:

is very interesting.  Just forget about the reference links at the bottom... they're all 404's (404 = Page not found or no longer exists)
I am almost ready to cover my broomstick aircraft with some bedsheets.
and I will definitely be using Latex Paint to color it. For me it is a matter of economics. A Gal of Latex can be had for under $30.00.
The aircraft paints cost at least 8 times that. This, not counting the reducers, and any other proprietary ingredients, that can bring costs to over 450 dollars. Even if I only get 5 years protection from UV, the cost, for me, to recover and re-paint will be  far less.  YMMV. I've painted a number of aircraft  professionally, and have used most of the "typed" brands.
I do have a favorite, it begins with an "S",  but as I said  for me,  it's  economics.

Chache

EaglersNest Mission Statement:
To maintain the comprehensive searchable database resource for Builders and Fliers of Leonard Milholland ultralight airplane designs aka Legal Eagle Ultralights.

BetterHalfVW.com  becomes LegalEagleAirplane.com - stay in contact with Leonard and get plans for all the Milholland Designs at LegalEagleAirplane.com
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal